Margauxs historic success was largely due to one dedicated dynasty, featuring such family names as Lestonnac, de Fumel, Hargicourt, even the Pontacs of Haut-Brion were involved by marriage. Between the 16th and late 18th centuries, and betimes helped by talented estate manager M. Berlon, the family steadily improved the wines quality and saw its reputation extend across the Atlantic. The French Revolution brought that era to an abrupt end (the guillotine again!) and in 1801 Margaux belonged to Bertrand Douat, Marquis de la Colonilla, who added the château, cellars and cooperage. Later owners battled against the usual hazards (vine disease, war, recession), but in 1950 the Ginestet family revived the outlook. Progress has continued under André Mentzelopoulos, who since 1977 has invested massively. His daughter Corinne is today in charge.